Prof. Johannes Hachmann
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
New York State Center of Excellence in Materials Informatics
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
612 Furnas Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260
- Professional Background
- Honors & Awards
- Invited Talks
- All Presentations
- Professional Affiliations
- Professional Service
- University at Buffalo, SUNY, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering since 2014
- Assistant Professor
- University at Buffalo, SUNY, New York State Center of Excellence in Materials Informatics since 2014
- Faculty Member
- Harvard University, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology2009–2014
- Research Associate (with A. Aspuru-Guzik) 2012–2014
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow (with A. Aspuru-Guzik) 2009–2012
- Cornell University, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology 2004–2009
- Graduate Research Assistant (with G.K.-L. Chan)
- University of Cambridge (UK), Department of Chemistry2003–2004
- Undergraduate Research Assistant (with N.C. Handy and H.-G. Fritsche)
- University of Jena (Germany), Institute of Organic Chemistry and Macromolecular Chemistry 2003
- Undergraduate Research Assistant (with J.F. Weston)
- University of Jena (Germany), Institute of Physical Chemistry 2001–2002
- Undergraduate Research Assistant (with U.-W. Grummt)
- Cornell University, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology 2004–2009
- PhD, Theoretical Chemistry, Feb 2010
- MSc, Theoretical Chemistry, Jan 2007
- University of Cambridge (UK), Department of Chemistry 2003–2004
- University of Jena (Germany), School of Chemistry and Earth Sciences 1999–2004
- DiplChem, Theoretical Chemistry, Dec 2004
- Predipl, Chemistry, Oct 2001
Honors & Awards
- Computerworld Data+ Award 2013
- RSC Scholarship Award for Scientific Excellence of the ACS Division of Chemical Information 2013
- ACS Division of Physical Chemistry Postdoctoral Research Award 2013
- IBM-Löwdin Award 2013
- ICQC Outstanding Poster Award 2012
- Finalist of the CycleCloud BigScience Challenge with Honorable Mention 2011
- CSC Best Poster Presentation Award of the Physical, Theoretical and Computational Division 2009
- APS Graduate Student Travel Award of the Division of Chemical Physics 2008
- IBM-Zerner Fellowship Award 2008
- SCES Young Investigator Award 2007
- CCG Excellence Award of the ACS Division for Computers in Chemistry 2006
- Kekulé Fellowship of the Fund of the German Chemical Industry 2005–2007
- DiplChem with Distinction 2004
- Study-Abroad-Fellowship of the German National Academic Foundation 2003–2004
- Fellowship of the German National Academic Foundation 2000–2004
- TBD, Workshop on Machine Learning for Many-Particle Systems, Los Angeles (CA), Feb 2015.
- Molecular properties of organic semiconductors from Big Data, MRS Fall Meeting, Symposium on Fundamentals of Organic Semiconductors: Synthesis, Morphology, Devices, and Theory, Boston (MA), Dec 2014.
- Molecular properties from Big Data, 248th ACS National Meeting, Division of Computers in Chemistry Symposium on Quantum Chemical Calculation of Molecular Properties: A Tribute to Professor Nicholas C. Handy, San Francisco (CA), Aug 2014.
- The Harvard Clean Energy Project – a virtual high-throughput search framework for new organic solar cell materials, 248th ACS National Meeting, Division of Energy and Fuels Symposium on Applications of Theoretical Chemistry for Energy and Fuel Production, San Francisco (CA), Aug 2014.
- High-throughput quantum chemistry and Big Data techniques for the rational design of organic semiconductors, Conference on Electronics Materials and Applications 2014 (EMA 2014), Symposium on ‘Computational Design of Electronic Materials’, Orlando (FL), Jan 2014.
- High-throughput quantum chemistry and Big Data techniques for the rational design of organic semiconductors, Special Topics in Theoretical Chemistry Seminar, Laboratory of Physical Chemistry, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich (Switzerland), Oct 2013.
- From high-throughput quantum chemistry to the rational design of organic semiconductors – a big data and materials informatics approach, CECAM Workshop on Structure-property relationships of molecular precursors to organic electronics, Lausanne (Switzerland), Oct 2013.
- The Harvard Clean Energy Project: High-throughput screening and design of organic photovoltaic materials via automated, first-principles quantum chemistry on the IBM World Community Grid, 246th ACS National Meeting, Division of Physical Chemistry Symposium on Physical Chemistry of Solar Energy Conversion, Indianapolis (IN), Sep 2013.
- High-throughput and big data techniques in computational materials science, 246th ACS National Meeting, Division of Computers in Chemistry Symposium on Chemical Mechanisms in Advanced Materials, Indianapolis (IN), Sep 2013.
- Rational design of semiconductors for organic photovoltaics via high-throughput quantum chemistry and materials informatics, Department Seminar, School of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh (Scotland), May 2013.
- Rationales Design von Halbleitern für organische Solarzellen durch high-throughput Quantenchemie und Materialinformatik, Theoretical Chemistry Colloquium, Institute of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, Braunschweig University of Technology, Braunschweig (Germany), May 2013.
- The Harvard Clean Energy Project: Computational high-throughput screening of OPV materials on the IBM World Community Grid, Department Seminar, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University at Buffalo, SUNY, Amherst (NY), Mar 2013.
- The Harvard Clean Energy Project: An automated, high-throughput, first-principles screening of organic photovoltaics on the World Community Grid, Séminaire du RQMP Versant Nord, Département de physique, Université de Montréal, Montréal (Canada), Mar 2012.
- The Harvard Clean Energy Project: A large scale computational search for new organic photovoltaics on the World Community Grid, CIMOPV (Complex Interactions & Mechanisms in Organic Photovoltaics) Workshop, Brisbane (Australia), Jul 2010.
- The Harvard Clean Energy Project: A large scale computational search for new organic photovoltaics, 3rd Puerto Rico NSF EPSCoR/RII IFN Annual Meeting, Rio Grande (PR), May 2010.
- American Ceramic Society (ACerS) since 2013
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) since 2013
- Materials Research Society (MRS) since 2012
- Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC) 2009
- World Association of Theoretical and Computational Chemists (WATOC) since 2008
- Psi-k Network since 2008
- Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft (DPG) (German Physical Society) since 2006
- American Physical Society (APS) since 2006
- American Chemical Society (ACS) since 2005
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Theoretische Chemie (AGTC) (Association of German Theoretical Chemists) since 2001
- Deutsche Bunsengesellschaft für Physikalische Chemie (DBG) (German Society for Physical Chemistry) since 2001
- Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh) (Society of German Chemists) since 2000
- Editorial Board Member for Scientific Reports since 2014
- Editorial Board Member for Computational Chemistry Highlights since 2014
- Review Editorial Board Member for Frontiers in Theoretical and Computational Chemistry since 2013
- Reviewer (Journals) for Accounts of Chemical Research; Advanced Energy Materials; Australian Journal of Chemistry; Chemistry of Materials; ChemPhysChem; Energy & Environmental Science; Inorganic Chemistry; International Journal of Quantum Chemistry; The Journal of Chemical Physics; Journal of Chemometrics; Journal of Computational Electronics; Journal of Molecular Modeling; Journal of Organic Chemistry; Journal of Organometallic Chemistry; The Journal of Physical Chemistry; Journal of the Chilean Chemical Society; Macromolecules; Materials Discovery; Nature Nanotechnology; Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics; Research on Chemical Intermediates; Synthetic Metals
- Reviewer (Proposals) for US National Science Foundation (NSF); US Department of Energy (DOE); American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund (ACS PRF); Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF); Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO); Research Foundation Flanders (FWO); Centre Européen de Calcul Atomique et Moléculaire (CECAM); Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)
- Reviewer (Theses) for Université de Montréal (PhD; Physics); University at Buffalo (multiple PhD, MSc; Chemical Engineering, Chemistry)
- Advisor for Mendeley since 2014
- Co-Organizer of the Greater Boston Area Theoretical Chemistry Lecture Series 2010–2014
- Lead-Developer of the Harvard Clean Energy Project Database (CEPDB) 2009–2014
- Member of the UB STEM Mentored Undergraduate Research Initiative (SMURI) 2014
- Research Mentor for the NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011